Stuart McMillan MSP (SNP) has welcomed the news from Network Rail that improvement work at Wemyss Bay Station will commence on 24th June 2014 and continue until September 2015. Although the majority of this work will be carried out during dayshift hours of 07:30 – 18:00, there will be a requirement for some of the work to be carried out during nightshift 23:30 – 06:00.
These works will involve:
- Set up of temporary compound on the disused platform within Wemyss Bay Station
- Preparation and painting of the existing roof steelwork to both the concourse area and platform canopies
- Improvements to the station and canopy roof coverings including drainage improvements
- Preparation and painting of the internal station buildings
- Installation of new access hatches within the platform canopies to allow future maintenance of the property
- Replacement of wire glazing panels
- Installation of a new roof access system to the concourse area
- Miscellaneous building works to improve the general appearance of the station including stone repairs, renewal of render finish to inner sea wall, overhaulof timber sash and casement windows where required.
Mr. McMillan said:
“I’m pleased to learn that Wemyss Bay Station is to undergo improvement works, carried out from this month onwards, in-order to further enhance the station.
“Over recent years the station, through the Adopt a Station programme and with the help of Friends of Wemyss Bay Station, has seen a positive change to the décor and layout.
“I welcome the continued commitment to make improvements at the station and look forward to seeing them first hand.”